Thursday, July 17, 2008

Right under our noses....

I shared this rose with my friend in Georgia. She calls it "Bouquet-on-a-stick".
This is 'Grandma's Yellow Rose', the next Texas SuperStar rose. It lived most of it's life as "Nacogdoches", and has been around a long time. For some reason, somebody decided to tag it with a new name- "Grandma's Yellow Rose". I liked the old name better, as do the people in Nacogdoches, but that is another story.

This story is about this very same rose bush living right here, under our noses, in plain sight; have you seen it?

The first time I saw it, my friend Pat and I were in the Church's Fried Chicken place, right there by the WalMart and the Whataburger. We just kind of spied it at the same time, and it was something to take your breath away.

It grows in a small bed between the parking lot of CFC and the feeder road. God waters it; nobody feeds it. It gets pruned when a couple of greedy plant collectors ask for cuttings.

With no care, no interference from anybody, this rose is magnificent. BIG, bold yellow blooms, 6 or 8 at a time, on sturdy canes that make it a fairly compact bush. It blooms almost all year, and I don't think I have ever seen it without a bloom. The foliage is beautiful, clean and dark green. And did I mention the fragrance?

The next time you are over that way, look for this rose. It is the one with the yellow blooms. We don't know what the one that blooms pink-ish/yellow is yet. Might be a 'Peace' rose.....

Janie

No comments: